The Dubai Metro is a fully automated driverless metro in the United Arab Emirates city of Dubai which spreads over an area of 75 kilometers. It began its operation on 9th September 2009 with initially two operational lines i.e. Red Line and Green Line. However, three further lines are also planned by the officials in the coming years, because of increasing population in the city. Dubai Metro has also declared as the world’s longest fully automated driverless metro by the Guinness World Records. It has total of 47 stations, from which 18 stations are on the Green Line while 29 stations are on the Red Line.
The Dubai Metro consists of 5 car trains and each train has a sufficient space of 643 passengers. All the trains of Dubai Metro are fully air-conditioned with platform edge doors. All the five cars of Dubai Metro are divided into three classes of Gold class, Women and Children class and Silver class. The Golden class is the VIP class that consists of 18 seats with luxurious interior, while Silver class is for economy class passengers.
Dubai Metro is owned by Roads and Transport Authority and it is operated by Serco. On the average distance of 1.5 kilometers, there is one station of Dubai Metro with having various themes like Water, Earth, Fire and Air.
Facilities Provided by Dubai Metro
- Dubai Metro has special cabins for women and children.
- In the Gold class car, passengers enjoy wide leather seats with panoramic views.
- Special accessibility facilities are provided to the special passenger with having any disability. Special ticket counters are reserved for these passengers with easy access on a wheel chair.
- Wi-Fi and completed mobile coverage is also available across the route of Dubai Metro.
- More than 700 fully trained staff member are there in the shifts round the clock to provide medical assistance and first aid to the effected passengers.
- Taxis are also available at every station to pick up and drop the passengers at their door step.
- Passengers are not allowed to eat and drink in the trains.
Safety of Passengers
- The Dubai Metro provides maximum satisfaction to their passengers in terms of safety and for this purpose, more than 3 thousand CCTV cameras are installed in the trains and stations.
- Emergency Call Box is also present in all the trains which are integrated through radio system between emergency services and Dubai Metro.
- Passengers can also call for the customer services on 8009090 or 999, for any type of assistance and complain.
NOL Ticket or Smart Card
- Every passenger have to purchase a NOL Ticket or Smart Card to travel on the Dubai Metro.
- NOL is an ancient Persian word which means Tariff or Fares. It is an electronic ticketing card that is released for all mode of public transport in Dubai.
- There are different types of NOL smart cards with different prices and passengers can choose any type of smart card which suits them.
- These cards are pre-loaded and customers can use it as an e-purse.
Chart Of Dubai Metro Fares
The chart of the ticket prices in the Dubai Metro is given below with the price of ticket for different zones in Dirhams.
|Ticket Price with Travel Distance||NOL Card||Less Than 3km||T1 Zone||T2 Zones||T3 Zones|
|Standard adult ticket price||Red||2.00||4.00||6.00||8.50|
|Red Ticket (Gold Class)||Silver||4.00||8.00||12.00||17.00|
|Prepaid standard adult fare||Silver||1.80||3.00||5.00||7.50|
|Cost of regular class trip for NOL Blue||Blue||1.80||2.30||4.10||5.80|
|Students registered with Blue NOL card||Blue||0.90||1.50||2.50||3.75|
|Senior citizens (Registered)||Blue||0.90||1.50||2.50||3.75|
|Gold Class prepaid||Gold||3.60||6.00||10.00||15.00|