If you thought WhatsApp was your only choice, think again. The Ministry of Information Technology has introduced a communication application named Beep, designed for government personnel across 41 federal ministries and departments.
The application is planned for future public release as well. The app is a substitute for WhatsApp and other social media platforms.
It will facilitate secure communication among government staff, offering audio and video calls and conferencing functionalities. Additionally, the app will enable users to transfer sensitive government documents securely.
At first, the app can be used by the central government. Later, it will also be available for the local governments. After government workers use it, the general public will also be able to use the app.
The government highlights that the app is more secure than other options because its server is in Pakistan. Additionally, the application’s source code will also be stored in Pakistan.
How Will ‘Beep’ Help Pakistanis?
1. Data Security: As the app’s server and source code are based in Pakistan, it ensures heightened data security and reduced vulnerability to foreign surveillance.
2. National Pride: Using an indigenous app fosters a sense of national pride, contributing to local technology and innovation growth.
3. Cultural Relevance: The app can be tailored to better suit local preferences and languages, facilitating more inclusive communication.
4. Reduced Reliance on Foreign Apps: Dependence on foreign apps for communication decreases, ensuring greater control over sensitive information.
5. Government-Citizen Interaction: Government announcements, services, and public awareness campaigns can be integrated, enhancing citizen engagement.
6. Digital Inclusion: A locally developed app can be designed to accommodate low-end devices and slower internet speeds, promoting digital inclusion across diverse demographics.
7. Support for SMEs: Local businesses can leverage the app for customer engagement and marketing, supporting small and medium-sized enterprises.
8. Privacy Focus: The app can adhere to local privacy regulations, addressing concerns about data protection and privacy violations.